World News and Analysis

World relations, economy and the class struggle

World relations, economy and the class struggle

February 12, 2016 at 3:18 pm

CWI 11th World Congress document The following document is an amended version of a draft document on world perspectives which was discussed at the January 2016 World Congress of the Committee for a Workers’ International (CWI). The very successful week-long meeting was attended by CWI comrades from 34 countries, with […]

Read more ›
Ethiopia: Hunger and deadly repression

Ethiopia: Hunger and deadly repression

February 11, 2016 at 11:23 am

Crisis for imperialism and a fight-back from below By Per-Ãke Westerlund Ethiopia has in recent years experienced perhaps the strongest economic growth in the world. The winners have been the dictatorial regime, its allies and multinational corporations. If a certain layer in society has an increased purchasing capacity, the overwhelming […]

Read more ›
How the US got Trumped

How the US got Trumped

February 9, 2016 at 12:06 pm

By CWI reporters The 2016 US presidential race so far offers striking evidence of the massive loss of support for the political mainstream. The Great Recession has created widespread social dislocation and a rising fury against the establishment. This can be seen in the social movements that represent a revolt […]

Read more ›
Spain: A break in the political establishment

Spain: A break in the political establishment

February 8, 2016 at 9:40 am

December’s elections broke the hold of the two main capitalist parties for the first time since the Franco dictatorship. The high vote for representatives of workers’ and social movements, and the recovery of the left-populist Podemos, open up a new phase in the struggle against austerity. By Danny Byrne, CWI […]

Read more ›
China fears spread across global markets

China fears spread across global markets

January 14, 2016 at 10:34 am

Could the financial turmoil of the opening week set the tone for 2016? Per-Åke Westerlund, with additional reporting by Vincent Kolo Global financial markets started 2016 with a bang! A reprise of last summer’s chaotic falls on China’s stock markets triggered panic selling of shares, commodities and currencies around the […]

Read more ›
2016: Crisis-ridden capitalism will meet with bitter mood of resistance

2016: Crisis-ridden capitalism will meet with bitter mood of resistance

January 7, 2016 at 11:19 am

Peter Taaffe, Socialist Party (CWI in England & Wales) In 2015, Greece experienced the historic election victory of the left radical Syriza. This was followed by the massive rejection of austerity in the July referendum with 61% voting ’No’, only to be followed by Greek Prime Minister Tsipras’ craven capitulation […]

Read more ›
Pakistan: Religious extremism, military operations and increased intolerance

Pakistan: Religious extremism, military operations and increased intolerance

December 22, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Revolutionary movement of the working class needs to finally defeat religious extremism and intolerance Khalid Bhatti SMP (CWI in Pakistan) Pakistan’s armed forces launched massive military operations against the Pakistan Taliban and other reactionary, violent religious groups after the gruesome attack on the Army Public School (APS) in Peshawar on […]

Read more ›
Venezuela elections: Who won and who lost?

Venezuela elections: Who won and who lost?

December 21, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Victory for the right wing reflects popular discontent Johan Rivas, Socialismo Revolucionario (CWI in Venezuela) These elections took place in the midst of a deep social and economic crisis, essentially linked to three factors. The crisis in raw material commodity prices such as oil, the principal source of resources and […]

Read more ›
The obscene wealth of the 1% (and what we should do about it)

The obscene wealth of the 1% (and what we should do about it)

December 15, 2015 at 11:13 am

The rallying cry of Occupy Wall Street that sprung up four years ago, “We are the 99%” was prescient and profound. The Oxfam Wealth Report of 2015 predicted that next year, based on current trends, the richest global 1% will own more wealth than the other 99% of the world’s […]

Read more ›
Climate talks: 25 years of hot air

Climate talks: 25 years of hot air

December 8, 2015 at 10:53 am

For 25 years, establishment politicians have talked about tackling global warming – since discussions held in the run-up to the Earth summit of 1992. Most of them now agree that human action is driving potentially catastrophic climate change. But they have done nothing to deal with this threat, bound as they […]

Read more ›